Re: [LI] trivia:get error messages into a file?

Hi Sridhar,

If u want to trap those messages, u have to set the kernel log-level. There
are eight possible loglevel strings, which are defined in the
<linux/kernel.h>. Based on this loglevel, kernel prints the messages in the
current text console if the priority is less than ineger variable
console_loglevel. If klogd and syslogd are running on the system, kernel
messages are appended to /var/log/messages independent of console_loglevel.
The variable console_loglevel is initialised to DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL and
can be modified to sys_syslog system call. It can also be changed by -c
switch of klogd.

I think the above info is enough for u to trap those dammm messages!!! If
klogd or syslogd dies before these messages, then write a kernel module or
modify ur init code to do the same. ( very tricky stuff to do!! but not
impossible for a die hard linuxer ;-) )

Archan Paul
Lateral Software Technology (Linux Lab)
Chennai.