[LI] Trouble Installing linux, boot sector problems. please advise

hello
i have Ibm aptiva e-550 machine and i tried to install
linux in it along with windows 98 second edition . the
installation goes smoothly till the very last  step
where the installation program says an "error has
occured" during the lilo writng to the boot sector.
and that's it it will not proceed further. only think
i can do is to get to the menu and ignore that option
. i am absolutely unable o install custom or
workstation on my machine into linux . if i install
server in my linux it it overwriting the windows in my
machine.

i know the exact hardware configuration of my machine
i have an s9 display card and i have 8 MB of memory in
it . i also have an IBM monitor which is listed in the
monitor selection list . during the installation if i
select these options or even if  i choose to select
the generic options i am unable to configure xwindows.
please help.

i have norton antivirussoftware in my machine can it
be the root cause to all the problems.

thank you for advising me
--- lvgandhi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> "Shalabh Choudhri." wrote:
> >
> > hi dude's,
> > been posting this mesg. for quite some time & have
> got a reply or 2. But i
> > am more or less stuck till-date:-(
> > I hope this time someone out there(not up there)
> can help me ;-)
> > I am using the linux6.1 from PCQ-nov issue, and am
> not able to improve the
> > resolution to anything better than 640x480 using a
> VGA16 server. When i link
> > X(both /etc/X11/X and /usr/X11R6/bin/X) to the
> SVGA server the cusor appears
> > as a block.
> > While running win95 I am using 800x600 true color,
> small font refresh rate
> > 60. The card is SiS6215C.
>
> If you have feb99 PCQ cd use those files in sis dir
> as per dec98pcq
> article. You are sure to get the solution.
> --
> L.V.Gandhi
> MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP
> 530020 INDIA
> http://www.poboxes.com/lvgandhi
> lvgandhi@xxxxxxxxxxx,
> lvgandhi@xxxxxxxx,  31882656@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx