Re: [LI] Commercial : Grafical email system throu' browser

Hi Sudhir

> We would like to setup a web-based e-mail system. We are talking of
> something (visually) like Hotmail/Yahoo etc.

There are lots of php3 / perl based free webmail applets already
available - see http://www.php3.net/projects.php3 and for PERL, try
http://scriptsearch.internet.com (search engine for all kinds of
scripts)

So re the backend, no need to reinvent the wheel to any large
extent, you can concentrate on building a fancy (or, considering the
bandwidth available in India) a not so fancy, fast loading GUI.

If you are really masochistic and want to reinvent the wheel - better
install the PERL module MIME::tools (rediffmail uses it too <g>) -
you can download this from the CPAN site.

> Anyone interested in working on the project, please get in touch.
> Knowledge of setting-up an Internet Server (complete with all the
> services) will be beneficial.

If you are doing this - be careful re spammers.  From personal
knowledge I can say that 123india.com / rediffmail.com /
indiatimes.com etc Indian webmail services have a major problem
with spammers getting free accts on these servers to get orders /
remove requests (these are known as dropboxes)

Complaints to any provider are sent to the RFC mandated
postmaster and abuse addresses at that domain - which several
Indian domains (including vsnl and satyam) don't have.

So, create aliases for these two to the acct of one of yr sysadmins,
monitor these regularly and act promptly on complaints by deleting
the spammer's account (after investigation)

Thanks to spammers from India infesting usenet, and VSNL /
Satyam not responding to any complaints (even to their listed
contact addresses) - vsnl and satyam have been UDP'd.  see below.

--- begin fw ---

> Hi Suresh,

> As we've had absolutely no further response whatsoever, the UDP on
> VSNL will go into effect today at approximately 22:00 hours GMT.
> (Monday, Dec 13th, 17:00 EST).

> Note that SILNET (satyam.net.in) is now under UDP for exactly the
> same reason.  No response of any kind from them either.

> We really hate doing these things, but they leave us with no
> alternative. --

> Chris Lewis, CyberSheriff (CBC says I am, so it must be true!)
> It's not just anyone who has a Starship cruiser class named after
> them! For more information on spam, see http://spam.abuse.net/spam
> Fight spam, support Rep. Chris Smith's TCPA extension:
> http://www.cauce.org

--- end fw ---

If you access usenet - better use a free shell provider like
hobbiton.org / m-net.arbornet.org (BSD) or spunge.org (RH 5.1) -
vsnl and satyam ip blocks have been banned from accessing usenet
through most nntp servers in the world.

btw - UDP = Usenet Death Penalty.

hth
--s

Suresh Ramasubramanian, CAUCE India
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx
Stop Spam | Join CAUCE | http://www.cauce.org
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
 The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in
 insidious encroachment by men of zeal,
 well-meaning but without understanding.
        Justice Louis D. Brandeis