Re: [LI] Web Server problem

Hi folks,

Thanks all jiju, sathya, asif, aditya, sunil for the help.

When my computer starts the message that comes is
setting hostname rajesh.com.

<snip>
Jiju wrote :
> >Presently my /etc/hosts file is as follows :
> >
> >127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> >192.168.1.1    localhost.localdomain   rajesh.com
> >
> change it to
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> 192.168.1.1    rajesh.com    rajesh
>
> then restart the inet services, through doing
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart
<snip>

Jiju I made the above changes as per your suggestion in my /etc/hosts
file but still I get the error could not connect to http://rajesh.com

I even tried typing http://rajesh.com instead of rajesh.com but same result.

<snip>

Sathya wrote:
> try giving only
> http://rajesh/
hosts file must contain entry for rajesh.com. (like 127.0.0.1)
If you are connected to the internet  and your /etc/resolv.conf is configured
to use DNS first before files then  a dns query on the internet will occur. So
make sure the lookup order is files,dns
> also check out the hosts.allow and hosts.deny files
Only if httpd is configured to be started by inetd which is probably not the
case

<snip>

Now my /etc/hosts file is as follows :
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.1.1    rajesh.com    rajesh

My /etc/resolv.conf contains the following :

search  rajesh.com
nameserver 202.54.1.30
nameserver 202.54.17.30

/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files are empty. Only with few comment
lines telling what these files are doing nothing else.

<snip>
$ hostname -i
<snip>

this command gives the following output on my system.
192.168.1.1
which is what I had mentioned in /etc/hosts file.

Both httpd and inetd are started during system startup.

<snip>

try adding ur ip and name in /etc/host
or install DNS for the lan from pcqupdt
<snip>

I have enabled DNS and Internet Gatewaying on my system using PCQUPDT script.
Is this the cause of the problem ?

Waiting for your replies.

Thanks in advance.

 --