Re: [LI] List Repeatds

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999 skhader@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Khader> I seem to be getting older mails from LI ( dated 09/12 or 10/12 )
Khader> and repeats. Is this happening to anyone else or
Khader> am I the only victim ! ;-(

  woop woop !!@@
  believe it or not , I *just* deleted some ~200 mails [duplicate] - of
some 5 lists - debian-user | linux-newbie | ilug-chennai | LI | quiznet
  and I do this about once a week ...
  Let me take this opportunity to rant ... ;-)

<rant>
   the *very first* time , it was a reaction of anger when I discovered my
box flooded with some 100 odd duplicates [ was in fewer lists then ]
  and then I just shut up about it ... and went on manually deleting 'em
... and voila , a few days later ... I have the next set... then I say
...hmmm ... the next time ... I say "hell , something weird is happening ,
I gotta crib to people" .... so I post to all the lists asking if all them
got broke simaltaneously - never doubted good 'ol giasmda - and the
answer[s] w[as|ere] obvious ... and then further poking , discussion led
me to believe that the giasmda mail system is *slightly* broken ....
whether it affects everyone I do not know ... but most surely , I'm one of
the chosen one specials ...
  Bottomline is : check if your .in.ibm.com mail servers are functioning
"okay" and that others [ co-workers ] aren't experiencing similar
problems... post to some internal ibm list maybe ? ...
  I *really* doubt if the LI server is itself broken ...

</rant>

  hehe - after the last 1 year of doing all this , i guess i'm *REALLY*
professional at deleting duplicates [ on more serious thought : some guy
posted an amazing bit of code to plug into your .procmailrc | .muttrc and
that actually checks your mails - scans thro' them etc. looking for
duplicate message-ids etc... and deletes duplicates - will see if I can
send that over some time... ] ... that you could employ me to delete your
mails , at a nominal price - a copy of potato written to CDs maybe ? ;-)

- ravi.