Re: [LI] ide-cd.o module in RH6.X

Hi,

linuxfan@xxxxxxxxxxx typed:
> i have one doubt. when i tried to recompile the kenel it failed during the
> make bzImage.
> After that i did make clean and make modules and then i copied the module
> ide-cd.o to the /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/block

You are supposed to do make modules_install to install the modules.

> and did the modprobe.
> now the default kernel which came with the pcq RH 6.1 CD is also having
> the module ide-cd.o.
> and I also added in etc conf.modules following line
> options ide-cd ignore=hdd
> but still the result is same
> It is again capturing that as device hdd
> and the cdrecord -scanbus gives no devices found.

I'm quoting from the CD-Writing-HOWTO:

-----
Especially in environments, where SCSI- and ATAPI-devices are mixed,
you better build most things as modules. To make your life with
modules easier, you can add the following lines to /etc/conf.modules:

alias   scd0 sr_mod                  # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
alias   scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi    # SCSI hostadaptor emulation
options ide-cd ignore=hdb            # if /dev/hdb is your CD-writer
-----

> Did the scsi emulation worked for u?

Let me outline the steps I carried out to get it working.

1) Recompiled the kernel with all the cdrom stuff as modules.
2) Added the above given lines to /etc/conf.modules.
   Now both the modules do not get loaded at bootup.
3) First do modprobe ide-cd, then modprobe ide-scsi. If you do it the
   other way round, then ide-scsi grabs both the CD drives. Or you can
   add the necessary line in conf.modules to make ide-scsi ignore your
   ordinary drive.
   You can also add the two lines (modprobe) to your
   /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit so that it gets loaded at bootup
4) Now, cdrecord -scanbus reports:
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'PHILIPS ' 'CDD3610 CD-R/RW ' '3.01' Removable CD-ROM

As simple as that! Well, it worked for me..

> I tried to compile the kernel 2.2.13
> that gives error in doing
> make bzImage
> Is it really easy to build own kernel?

Yes, it is really easy to build a kernel. Just follow the steps:
make menuconfig; make dep; make bzImage; make modules; make
modules_install. And of course configure LILO to boot the new kernel,
and you're done.

PS: Send all your questions to the list, not privately, because you
have more people to answer your questions, and you will probably get
better answers! :-)

--
Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@xxxxxxxxx> (PGP:B1E86F5B) http://listen.to/mrinal
- - - - = ( Redhat Linux 6.1 ) = - - - - = ( Kernel 2.2.12-20 ) = - - - -