[LI] WINS for LINUX ???

Hi,
Is there any protocol or a piece of software that can make my machine
visible on the network where all the machines are running some version
of Windows.

In detail it is like,
When we use Win 95, we specify the WINS Server address, and the domain
name where the IP address of our machine is authenticated with the
MAC address, and then the name of the machine is made visible to other
machines on the network.

Is there a similar kind of protocol/software their for LINUX RED HAT 6.1

Aruneesh