Re: [LI] HELP... Kernel Panic !!!

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 09:55:18AM +0530, Ghins Mathai wrote:
> Today morning when I tried booting into Linux I got the following error:

> EXT@-fs error (device ide0(3,5)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap
> for group 1 not in group (block 0)!
> EXT@-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
> Kernel panic: VFS : Unable to mount root fs on 03:05
>
> Why do I get this error ? Is there any way this can be corrected ? If
> not is there any way by which I can take a backup of contents of Linux
> partition ?

Run fsck a couple of times, to see if it goes away. Otherwise, you'll
have to walk the ext2fs structures yourself using the tools that come
with e2fs tools (or something which sounds like it).

In general, it is not worth the hassle, if you don't have really important
data in there.

If you're in a situation where such crashes are frequent, you may want
to run your fs in sync mode at lower performance, but higher safety.

	-Arun