[LI] Debian 2.2.1 and X-probs ;-(

Hi folks,
I finally dumped SuSE for Debian 2.2.1 which I
started downloading yesterday night at 2:30 AM. ;-(
My minimal Debian system is up and running. I have
installed gnome and enlightenment and now when I try to
configure my X-server, I just get a blank screen and I have to
kill it forcefully by CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. So, I just tried
running init and these were the errors it was giving out.

System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm
-m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> "
-eml "Errorsfrom xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
compiled/xfree86.xkm'xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient
on X server ":0.0"Cannot chown /dev/ptyxx to 0,0: No such file or
directoryxinit:  connection to X server lost.

Can anybody explain what I am missing or what the error is here?
I do have kbd installed !! Something else I am missing ??
TIA

Regards
               Khader