Re: [LI] size

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Arun Sharma wrote:

+ > Output of the 'size' command for an object file:
+ >
+ > bash$ size x.o
+ > text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
+ > 153     21      0       174     ae      x.o
+ > bash$ ls -l x.o
+ > -rw-r--r--   1 sharadj  users        1172 Dec  3 15:01 x.o
+ >
+ > Can anyone tell me, what does this 'size' quotes the figures (text,
+ > data, bss) in? I mean number of words, instructions or what. Man is not
+ > quite explicit.
+
+ Bytes. Do
+
+ $ objdump -j '.data' -s x.o
+
+ to see it for yourself.
+

Ok, here is it. Sorry, i did not mention that in the first mail. Another
point was, if that was in bytes, why so much discrepency in the number of
bytes shown by 'ls -l' and 'size'.

bash$ objdump -j '.data' -s x.o

x.o:     file format elf32-i386

Contents of section .data:
bash$

Doesn't meet the expectations eh... :) 'objdump -s x.o' too was not much
helpful.

Sharad.
~~~~~~~~