Re: [LI] Linux Router

NSE does not use Linux. They use Windows NT WS on the dealers side. So Linux driver for Eicon card may be a problem. Let me check with NSE itself as I know some people out there and then will get back to you.

The reason I asked the question as I feel there are certain work to be done certain way. For e.g. in your case Router-- When a hardware device doing its job, let's not try to put a SW device like PC with Linux or any OS to that job.

But then after understanding your point of view, I have realized that what I feel may not be relevant to your case. I will try to find some way out.

Thanx & regards,

Vaibhav

Thanks for the advice. Would a Linux driver for these cards be available?
I did a quick check on the Hardware-HOWTO and Eicon cards (Eicon.Diehl)
are listed but not as ones with an X.25 Interface. The ones listed there
look more like Ethernet NICs. Does NSE use Linux...

> A question. Why do you want to replace a Motorola router with Linux
> based PC Router?

Several reasons. The config terminal on a Motorola (my model, Vanguard
300) is rudimentary to say the least. I also have some experiences with
service/support that I would rather not mention in a forum like this.
Lastly, most VSAT users in India belong to Educational institutions who
have no money left to buy something a Cisco after paying for the
VSAT+Server+ISP-Rentals and I wanted to see if a cheap and efficiently
configurable option could be made available in such situations.

Thank you once again for your interest