Re: [LI] Initrd and Ramdisk

Hello there,
Well, thanks for that Sunil.
Anyway, My idea of Ramdisk is the same as yours. So, I am right there.
My idea of initrd was that it was a compressed filesystem which was
necessary for booting. ( I dunno whether that was right ?? I think it is
wrong)

And coming to your question , I am both as of now.

Regards
               Khader

Syed Khader Vali                                  skhader@xxxxxxxxxx
Associate Technical Executive           # 91-80-5262355      Extn:2527
IBM Global Services India (P) Ltd.

"Sunil Sarat" <sunil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 11/25/99 02:44:52 PM

You can try to copy your files to the Ramdisk by doing the following
mkdir  /tmp/ramdisk0
mkfs -t ext2 /dev/ram0
mount /dev/ram0 /tmp/ramdisk0

Your ramdisk is available at /tmp/ramdisk0

Initrd is simply a ramdisk that is initialized   by  the boot loader before
the kernel is started.  Initial root file system is loaded from initrd.

Hope it helps. By the way are you a programmer or a sysadmin?