Re: [LI] Swap space usage >> PrimaryMemory + Kind of Apps + Number of Apps running <<

Hi

> I have noticed that every time the actual RAM free is very less and the swap
> space is not used much as in the above case then Why is so much swap space
> required and when it is used to it's max.

Linux kernel does Disk buffering or caching to speed up the access of disk
contents. And this Buffer ADJUSTS automaticaly based on the load on the system
memory.  Thus In linux most of the time you will find that the Available free
space is shown as less, even thou you have more available IF REQUIRED.

> Same state remains inspite of loading  heavy duty application like StarOffice.
> After loading StarOffice it gives the following output :
<SNIP>
> I have got 48MB SDRAM on my machine. As per my knowledger Swap space is used
> after RAM on the machine is fully utilised. But if swap space is not even used
> to the extent of 50 MB than why is it recommended to keep the Swap space size
> to 128MB ?

Howmuch swap space one requires depends on

a) Primary Memory in the system

b) also the amount of load to be put on the system by

     b.1) the kind of applications run
that will be run like say large 3D Modeling applications, or say Compiling some
Huge packages like MOZILLA etc.

      b.2)  The number of simultaneous applications run on your system.
As of this writing on my system I have 4 copies of Netscape, 2 xterms, a
GUI mail client, a kernel compile, vi (well can you miss this app), many of the
server deamons etc. happening on my m/c. May be I am not well organized or what
ever but That should give the idea as to when one may require lot of memory and
thus end up with requiring good amount of swap.

---------
Keep :-)
HanishKVC