Free / Commercial S/W [was re: [LI] Linux India and Debian]

> Database etc which are commercially required [Are they? I think so at
> least] and are highly unpopular [read boring] to students in the labs

Most of the private computer instt (NIIT / Aptech) teach nothing but
databases (start with foxpro, go on to Oracle / VB etc etc).  What
else do you expect, given that they have a sharp nose for what's
the current rage in the market?

> Still, if essence of the commercial software is to lie in designing
> GUIs then I'd rather not have those. Distributed development is the

Commercial software or GPL freeware - this is not the factor.
Software may be developed by people who understand this sort of
stuff, but are used by common or garden clerks / executives etc,
some of whom, till recently, might not have known what a computer
was if it bit them on their rear end.

GUIs are needed for such people at least.

> found in freeware etc. Uncertainty prevails. And there are times when
> deadlines need be met. Are those deadlines of projects really
> important.

Try working on a project with penalty clauses - then you'll know :-)

> Need the systems be replaced so fast as these are being
> done right now? Do we really need MORE on the desktop?

This is mostly marketing from M$ - but still, as people switch to
newer and more powerful systems (implementing Oracle when a
simple foxpro for dos app would do equally well, and using
exchange and outlook where sendmail and mutt would do a better
job) - they need all the new powerful hardware / jazzy new windoze
and other software.

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
You know you are an X-Phile when:
   You steal your neighbor's newpaper every morning for an entire week-
   just to cut out the Calvin and Hobbes comic, and replace it on their
   doorstep as if nothing had happened.  If you are caught, just blame
   the little green men who performed brain surgery on you yesterday