Re: [LI] NT + Win95 + Rh6.1 + Caldera

Hello there,
Well you know something ??
Linux Partitions can be mounted on any direcrtory.
So, when you are in caldera mount Redhat's / ( i.e. /dev/hda2 ) on /redhat
and when you are in redhat mount Caldera's / ( i.e /dev/hda4 )  on
/caldera.
And remember there won't be any corruption in the filesystem unless and
until
you manually change something !! OK  !
And one more thing, A system cannot have two partition's mounted on /
* at the same time *, but there can be two different root partitions at
different boots.
But, it can have it's own / mounted ( Distro specific ).
And the /etc/fstab of RedHat and Caldera will be specific to their
installs. So, only
the relevant parition gets mounted on / according the Distro you will be
using.
I hope you understood this. Anyway I think I totally forgot about the 1024
thing.
Then, your partition Changes this way ( Including seperate partitions for
win95 and NT ).

/dev/hda1 -    Linux Swap ( to be shared by RedHat and caldera )
/dev/hda2      -     ->  Linux Native ( RedHat or Caldera's   / )
/dev/hda3 -     |   Linux Native  ( Caldera or Redhat's /boot )
/dev/hda4 -     |   Extended Partition
/dev/hda5 -     |   Windows NT ( NTFS or FAT16 Is this right ?? )
/dev/hda6 -     |   Windows 95     ( FAT32 )
/dev/hda7 -     ---  Whichever Distro you chose above ( for /boot ), it's /
here

Done

Swap /dev/hda3 and /dev/hda5 if winNT *needs* a Primary partition.

The only thing you need to take care is that /boot falls within the 1024
cylinder
and then do whatever you want with the above setup to suit your needs.

But wait, let some gurus respond whether this is right or wrong and then
proceed ( I suppose you don't have anything to lose as it is a fresh
install for a try ??? )

Regards
               Khader

Syed Khader Vali                                  skhader@xxxxxxxxxx
Associate Technical Executive           # 91-80-5262355      Extn:2527
IBM Global Services India (P) Ltd.

Ghins Mathai <ghins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 11/23/99 03:21:30 PM

Have some questions to ask. How do I proceed, Using RH6.1 (pcq) I boot from
the CDROM, goto fdisk, here what do I do ? I can set the /dev/hda1 as the
swap
/dev/hda2 as Linux Native ( say RH ) and to be MOUNTED on "/" , /dev/hda3
as a
FAT16 and /dev/hda4 as a Linux Native ( will use this for Caldera). Now the
question is where can I mount /dev/hda4. I obviously cannot mount it on "/"
as
/dev/hda2 will be using that...

Further, I actually wanted Win95 and WinNT on separate partitions. This is
because under FAT16 I  cannot have more than 2GB for a partition.  How do I
take care of this.

Further more will the >1024 cylinders not cause any problems ??