[LI] Dial in Server

Hi ,
        I have been reading all about dial-in problems in the list.
Well I have a dial in server,which works very well , BUT I use
uugetty.Here is what I do

Well if your modem is at port ttySX      (X=0 for COM1 X=1 for COM2-Replace
it as you want)

Copy the file /usr/doc/getty***/Examples/gettydefs to /etc/

copy /usr/doc/getty***/Examples/defaults/uugetty.autoanswer to /etc/

rename it as conf.uugetty.ttySx ( replace x with your modem port.1 if modem
connected to COM2)

edit this file

in the line ALTLOCK=cua1
replace cua1 with the appropriate number.(ttyS1 for COM2 ttyS0 for COM1)

add the following line to /etc/inittab

SX:2345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty -d /etc/conf.uugetty.ttyS1 ttyS1 F115200 vt100

(REPLACE X WITH 0 IF MODEM IS AT COM1 , 1 IF AT COM2 etc.)

after the lines like

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
 <------- (add here)

replace S1 with S0 if modem is connected to COM1

the above works for a 56 kbps modem.
For a 33.6 kbps modem replace F115200 with 38400

type 'init q' at the prompt

Now your fiends can dial up your system and they get a Shell account.
You can set up shell accounts (SLIP) ,TCP/IP accts,POP accts etc.
using linuxconf.

Bye.

  --Mahendra M
 RV College of Engineering,Bangalore.