Re: [LI] File structure and Distros

Hello there,
I think my question was a confusing. The questions I asked were
unrelated to each other. File Structures was a different one
and About the differences among different Distros was a different
one. Anyway I understood now what it means by
" Linux imposes no structure on Files". But, could you
give me a specific example. I continue with my earlier
question. Is this property same across various OS'es
( not distros ) ?? Os is it Unique to UNIX/Linux ??
Or is it that some other OSes do impose structure on files ??

And my second question was 'Pointer to a link
for difference among the various distros
( preferably a very comprehensive one ).
TIA
Regards
     Khader

Syed Khader Vali                                       skhader@xxxxxxxxxx
Associate Technical Executive             # 91-80-5262355      Extn:2527
IBM Global Services India (P) Ltd.

Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 11/22/99 10:40:56 PM

This is not a distro specific question. The above statement does NOT
refer to the filesystem hierarchy, as you may be thinking. That is
standardized using FSSTND or some such thing across distros.

What this means is that File I/O in Linux is "untyped". You just
treat files as a sequence of bytes and not records of a particular type
etc.