Re: [LI] Ext2 defrag

On Sun, 21 November 1999, Shourya Sarcar wrote:
> Could we have some feed back on the amount of non-contiguity in
> your disks.
 I currently have a non-contiguity of about 0.3%. It was touching
about 5% before my last defrag(last year).

> Does the defrag utility (...) defrag your root partition, too?
The safest way to defrag a partition is to work with it unmounted.
That is, if you had a boot floppy with e2defrag on it, that would be
the way to go. But, if you really want to defrag your current root
partition, you atleast make sure that it is mounted read-only. The
way I defragged my root partition last time, was to kill all but the
bare process( you could boot into single user mode and kill syslogd+
kerneld), then do a
mount -r -n -o remount /
to remount your root partition read-only (so that no process
modifies your partition during the defrag), and then run e2defrag..
---
Note 1:  With a heavily fragmented partition(you end up with such a
partition only after *years* of heavy-duty work, thanks to the
ext2 filesystem), you will notice some performance gain especially
during booting, but with non-contiguity less than 2% or 3%, you really
need not bother.
Note 2: Make sure you have backups, things can always go wrong. Dont
blame me if you get a power-cut or e2defrag crashes during the
defragging.
----
Bye,
--vml,