Re: [LI] system shutdown

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Shanker Balan wrote:

> 	I replaced the kernel with a recompiled one (the one i use on debian)
> and the panic vanished. The culprit is definitely the some of the
> features included in the generic rhl 6.1 kernel.

Hmmm, this is such a common one - the error (not kernel panic) appears
when the kernel issues the final halt instruction on shutdown. At that
point, all files have been closed and all buffers flushed. The command it
issues is simply an APM powerdown, which causes machines with suitable
powersupplies (notebooks, ATX powersupplies in PII/PIII machines, etc.) to
turn off the power.

The fix is an extremely simple one - turn on power management in the
BIOS. If disk spin downs bother you, simply disable all those features in
the BIOS, but leave power management as such enabled.

Considering that all new machines can turn off the power through software
these days, this is hardly a bug.

Atul