your own headers [was re Re: [LI] who is a guru?]

Headers in your own mail clients?

On 19 Nov 99, at 9:52, thus spake RAVIKANT K RAO

> Are there any specifics that I can look up to get more info
> on how to add my own headers etc on different mail clients/MTAs ?

Try using Elm which allows you to edit headers and add your own
headers for each message.

Remember - Prefix all such headers with X-
(for example: from my headers -

X-Spammers:You spamma my mailbox I nukea da ass

[this holds good for anyone who spams me :-> - a nuke is anti-
spam speak for pounding the guy's net access to dust - complain to
his isp, email provider etc etc - and maybe the US State's attorney
general's office, postal dept etc etc if the spam also has elements of
fraud in it]

back on track -

Mutt allows you to place custom headers in your .muttrc (you can
even run an unix command to generate that header - Binand Raj
displays his current kernel version as a X- header)

~I~ use Pegasus Mail - one of the few reasons I still have windows
installed.  I prefer it to Mutt / Pine / [your favorite text only, ultra
hackable, kewl unix mail client here <g>].  Besides, you can add
your custom headers to every mail.

Those of you who are sick of Outlook Express - download for free
(just 3.2 megs) from http://www.pmail.com/dl and see what you
can do with it at http://www.angen.net/~pegasus

[hell, sorry - an ad from me?  but this is freeware - so do see it if
you do happen to have winDOZE installed somewhere and access
the net using it]

MTAs like sendmail can be configured to add custom headers - see
the sendmail.cf for full info.  Just remember to use the X-
Header:Header info format or else it most likely will make your mta
or the receiving mta or both choke and spit your mail back at you.

---s

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
    I spent a lot of money on wine and women,
    and like a fool I squandered the rest.