Re: [LI] system shutdown

Hello there,
Well as I already said that was just a hunch. And BTW Mr.Prasad ( of
ILUG-HYD ) has a Cyrix M-II 300
( My memory might fail here ;-)  which dumps a kernel OOPs when shutdown
and similarly one
of my other friends who has a K6-2 350 which also dumps a kernel Ooops when
shutdown.
And talking about my system which was mine( <----  stress here ) and now my
brothers ;-( is also
a Cyrix MII-300 which has no problem at all. It is just that it seems to
happen with some
unlucky machines.  It is also that some vendors ( who pretend not to be
from the grey market) do give
out Duplicate or not-so-good processors and used to keep the good ones for
themselves ( I hear some-one
screaming with anger out there ;-), Here have a pepsi ;^). The market seem
to have some buggy processors
and that maybe the cause ( but again that is just another hunch ;-)
I would also be glad if you could provide us with the exact garbage you see
at the end of the halt.
It might help.
Regards
     Khader

Syed Khader Vali                                       skhader@xxxxxxxxxx
Associate Technical Executive             # 91-80-5262355      Extn:2527
IBM Global Services India (P) Ltd.

linuxfan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 11/18/99 02:29:14 PM
> I somehow have a hunch or a feeling that you might be having an AMD K6 or
> Cyrix processor

All AMD and Cyrix processors are well supported except the old 486 or even
older than that. The cyrix processors are said to surpass the similar
clocked Intel chip in Linux environment.