Re: [LI] core detail

Hi.

Here is the post by Author:   	Gerald Taylor
				Email: g.r.taylor@xxxxxxxxx
				Date: 1999/01/12
				Forums: linux.redhat.misc

and I had downloaded this. So please read about core file below.
A core dump is produced by the kernel when a process that is active performs
an operation that is illegal.  The core file is the output from the core
dump.  "core" is a reference to when computer memory consisted of little
ferrite cores with two address lines and one sense line passing through (I
digress...)  core dump means basically a memory dump of your dead process.
It is a post-mortem.  It is intended so that you can find out why it died.

If you cannot boot after executing the program, you are probably running
that program as root, and doing some file manipulation... most likely with
the WRONG files!

Set up a user account, and do your programming and program testing under
that account.  For that matter, DO EVERYTHING THAT DOES NOT ACTUALLY
REQUIRE ROOT ACCESS IN A USER ACCOUNT, NOT IN THE ROOT ACCOUNT!

When you are root, you are the god of your system.

Feel free to delete the core file.  The core file is just informational;
if you do not know how to use it it will serve no purpose to keep it.

Hope this helps some, and sorry if I pounded you some...  It is just that
many people try to do everything as root and get themselves into serious
trouble by making a mistake.  It only takes one.

If I am completely off base and you were not running your program as root,
then I have no idea.  Please add as much more data as you can and then
repost.

Gerald 				Brought To You By:-

					Vishweshwar Saran Singh Deo "Surguja"
					Email: vssinghdeo-surguja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx