Re: [LI] [Administrative] Recent changes in the LI mailing list policy

Thaths,

Here are a few more suggestions - [cc to the list]

[for thaths]

> In any case, I approve legitimate posts.  When I reject a post for
> posting, I send an email to the author explaining why their post was
> rejected.

Automate this.  Set up bots.  If attachment - then a bot mails back
"no attachments please", if "chain mail" then "no chain mail, you
#%$%" (or something more polite) ...

> Maybe it had 'aunet.org' (The domain name of the old mailing list)
> in the header (which I screen for so that I can instruct people
> posting to the old list to post to the new one)

When screening for this - send back a bot mail saying "post only to
the lists.linux-india.org addy / snip all old headers from yr mail first".

[for the list]

Common reason for bounces -

You might have used an email id other than the one you commonly
use for posting (say you are subscribed via one of the forwarding
addresses like iname / bigfoot and accidentally post using your
regular vsnl account instead).  Or you are subscribed as
user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx and are posting as root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a general rule, unless you know how to setup your mailer
properly, avoid using forwarding addresses.  Listserver filters often
look out for seemingly forged mail (as an anti spam measure) and
this may be the reason.

Some mailers may automatically generate mime attachment
headers when sending only the text only version (maybe when a
text file is attached to the mail).  Thath's filter will bounce these too,
I think.  Switch to a different mailer / fix your old mailer properly.

If you are using your subscribed mail id, then your mailer may be
using a different form of your address.

For example, if the address is foo@xxxxxxx - your mailer (esp. Pine
/ Mutt / Elm) may be generating mails with foo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in the
From: field.  Or it might be that you subscribed using your old mail
id foo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (say) and then set your mailer to your
new mail id foo@xxxxxxxx

In case this problem occurs, first see if one of the above conditions
apply.  If so, relax, take a deep breath and repost it properly.

If there is a hassle - view the headers (press h in mutt / pine etc /
view-headers-all in netscape etc) and see the return-path, envelope-
sender etc headers.

This usually occurs when

1. Your mailer settings are misconfigured,

2. You check multiple pop accounts using the same mailer

Workaround - check your mail on the account first - before posting
to the LI list (or any other well configured closed list).

Post a copy of the full headers to the admin for analysis if you are
confused.

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
    Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.