[LI] resolv.conf on slink

Thaths : Yes you did assume right when I wrote what I wrote...
Root _is_ able to telnet to giasmda by hostname instead of IP ... while
normal users couldn't.My box could _not_ associate hostname to IP.

Ragu : about gpm , I was looking at the wrong place and 'man gpm' wasn't
giving me the info that you were.Thanks a lot tho'.

Ravindra Jaju: Yes I did the # chmod 744 /etc/resolv.cond and got
surprising results... read on.

Before chmod-ing resolv.conf , this was the case :

$ nslookup giasmda.vsnl.net.in
*** Invalid option: nameserver 202.54.6.35
*** Invalid option: nameserver 202.54.1.30
Server: rockford
Address: 0.0.0.0
*** rockford : no response from server
$

I did the chmod 744 and now this is the case :

$ nslookup giasmda.vsnl.net.in
*** Invalid option: nameserver 202.54.6.35
*** Invalid option: nameserver 202.54.1.30
Server:  md3.vsnl.net.in
Address:  202.54.6.35

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    giasmda.vsnl.net.in
Address:  202.54.6.161

----

I can now telnet hostname straight from a normal users prompt , but if I
do the nslookup , It still gives me those 2 invalid options.... Why is
that ?

Maybe this might help :

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search vsnl.net.in
nameserver 202.54.6.35
nameserver 202.54.1.30
$

--------
Maybe I should stick to one distro ; this is getting annoying and painful
too ... Like for instance , debian puts its public html files by default
into one place while redhat puts it in a different place ; also access
logs under redhat is access_log in some weird directory [ it makes http a
user i think , http or httpd ... failing memory... :-( ] while debian
calls it access.log in a different directory... and configuring a 486 DX
at 2 AM with a semi functional CD-ROM Drive wasn't the smartest of things
to do ;-) ...

So much for that .

Now a few more things...

This is a box running Debian 2.1 with _some_ updates done to 2.2 using
apt-get ... I am in the process of upgrading the entire box to 2.2 too ...
still downloading 96 MB at a snails pace on a dial up ... and this is a
laptop. Now , at every boot up , I get the following at the end of the
messages that scroll during boot up....

I get one full screen of junk , predominantly ASCII characters and then
some 'words' interspersed inbetween that look like this...

/sbin/mgetty and there's a getty also ....but thats all , the rest is
ASCII characters....

And then it says , ID s respawning too fast : suspending for 5 minutes
and then precisely 5 minutes later , my screen fills up all over again
with the same junk and then I can carry on happily...

 so i poked around /etc/inittab and the last few lines that
look like this ...

------Cut here-----
#-- isdnutils begin
# Change the lines below for your local setup and uncomment them.
# Use "init q" to reread inittab.
# look at the vboxgetty / mgetty manpage for more information (mgetty
isn't
# standard!)
#
#I0:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/vboxgetty -d /dev/ttyI0
#I1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -D -m '"" ATZ OK AT&Eyourmsnhere OK AT&B512
OK' -s 38400 ttyI1
#-- isdnutils end
S:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1
-----Cut here------

So I took a chance and commented out the _very_ last line ,

S:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS1

and did a #init q  and then the machine rolls along fine...
Now why is all this stuff happening ? ttyS1 is COM2 under DOS right ? Just
incase if this is of _any_ significance (dont know if it is) , my mouse is
NOT on COM2 , its a PS/2 Mousepad (Laptop) , and hence on /dev/psaux
It works fine too .. no problems.

  One last thing, I've now tweaked the debian install to _my_ fullest
abilities and am now upgrading to 2.2 too ... and I know where to KDE and
GNOME .debs are and what I need , thanks to a lot of contributions from
different lug members... What I now need to know is , where can I find
instructions or a HOWTO on going about it ? For instance , I have the
entire GNOME .debs written onto a CD , whereas I have RPMs of the KDE
source on a different CD ... so I could i do some funky stuff like
download and install alien ( package used to install RPMs on a debian box
- think its called alien )  and use that to rpm -ivh *kde*.rpm and then
use dpkg or dselect - choosing CD-ROM set to install my GNOME , and so on
? And then I _know_ that debian installed a couple of window managers too
... icewm and so on ... I know what a wm is but I dont know where to
configure them , change default window manager's by hand etc... so where
would I find info on all this ?  even the HOWTO on installing X and
getting started with it didnt help too much ...

  Thanks for your time .

 - Ravi.