[LI] [Administrative] Recent changes in the LI mailing list policy

Hi folks,

Concerned with the recent spate in virus infected post, several clueless
accusations and random "Make Mahatma The Man of the Billenium" and "Greeting
Card For You" posts I am steeping in and taking some stern action.

Here are the changes I have made the LI mailing list:

* The mailing list will now filter posts with *any type* of attachments.
Since I am not sure if I set up the rules for this straight a few posts
with attachments might get through.

* Special filters have been set for HTML, MS-TNEF, vCard atatchments.

* Filters are in place to prevent the happy.exe virus scenario.

* ONLY PEOPLE SUBSCRIBED TO EITHER linux-india OR linux-india-digest ARE
NOW ALLOWED TO POST.

The last rule is going to sound pretty draconian.  But I think it will solve
a few things:

(i) I have to deal with over 300 bounced emails every day.  The time I spend
doing administrative work has increased from a few minutes ever day to over
30 minutes per day.  Many of the bounces are easy to deal with.  The most
frustrating bounces are the ones where the address that is bouncing does not
remotely resemble anything subscribed to the lists.  The popularity of the
various web based email services has compounded this problem.  I have actually
seen things like an @yahoo.com email address forwarding its mail to
@hotmail.com which in turn forwards it to @cyberspace.org.  Forcing people to
subscribe the address they use to read email from will mean lesser admin work.

(ii) Also, keeping a list open for anyone to post is a big spam / security
hole.

Your Frazzled List Admin