Re: Re: [LI] spamcop / Saraswati - from Dinesh Shah

On 12 Nov 99, at 19:06, thus spake Shanker R Swaminathan:

> Just what is this rubbish doing Here. I'd call it Spam !Any such
> spammers on the list  need to have their messages sent to spamcop.
> That is the only treatment they deserve. Shanker

Uhhh... spamcop is a (not very efficient) web based tool to help you
identify forged headers in spams and send complaints to the open
relay, the actual dialup etc etc.  If you can read headers yourself -
no use re spamcop.

It is not some sort of global watchdog which searches spammers out
and murders them in their sleep :-)

Complain to the postmaster and abuse addresses (which must exist -
 as per an RFC I can't remember now) of

1. The originating dialup  (say vsnl / satyam - for vsnl try something
like helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or whatever)

2. The open relay if transmitted through one.

3. Any dropboxes (free email boxes set up to recv spam responses)
-  abuse@xxxxxxxxxxx / abuse@xxxxxxxxx etc

4. Upstreams of any websites mentioned (do a whois search and
identify the upstreams / dns providers etc).

Send a complaint to all those and get the guy disconnected.

Visit -

http://www.cauce.org

http://spam.abuse.net

http://www.free.org

http://www.samspade.org (web based tools to trace spammers)

for more details

--s

Suresh Ramasubramanian, CAUCE India
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx
Stop Spam | Join CAUCE | http://www.cauce.org
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
    History is the version of past events that
    people have decided to agree upon.
                 -- Napoleon Bonaparte