[LI] Smita's Linux Survey

On 11 Nov 99, at 2:33, thus spake WebMaster: prayagonline.com

> sure, though you should have given your own e-mail address for us to
> reply, because mailing a "yes or no" to the list quite a waste of
> bandwisth for all the users ...

You have a point - but this lady did give her own mail id.  Your MTA
or mail reader or both seem misconfigured, because it cannot
correctly parse mailing list headers and recognize the actual sender.

> From: owner-linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:owner-linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

The RFC re mailing lists (what number is it?  1341 I think) mandates
that mailing lists should have the from field set this way.  With a
better configured MUA - what you saw would have been -

From: smita narla <snarla@xxxxxxxxxxx>

UNL is the University of Nebraska at Lincoln I assume.  And yes,
Ms.Narla could have saved a lot of hassle by posting the URL of her
survey initially.

And, why is she so scared we're going to take her for a spammer?
This is a perfectly valid and on topic post for this list IMHO.  Now, if
her survey has some fields where personal data would be entered
(or sets cookies that grab it without your knowing) then that's
another story altogether :-)

Anyway Smita - pls post the URL.

Suresh Ramasubramanian
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Colt.Peacemaker@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
    But if you wish at once to do nothing and be respectable nowadays,
    the best pretext is to be at work  on some profound study ...
                -- Leslie Stephen,
                   Sketches from Cambridge, 1865