[LI] Telnet getting too slow ...

Hi ,
I have got a new problem with my red hat 6 linux server ...
I have setup my server as a dial in server, where people log into and
establish ppp connection from their windows machine ...
Now after i have connected, when i type 192.168.5.3 (that's the ip address
of my server.) on my browser, i get the correct It worked page very quickly.
though when i use telnet 192.168.5.3 it is taking quite some time (around 5
mins.) to display the prompt ....
also when i check my mail with my pop3 client (outlook) it waits at the
connecting and authorising stage for a same long time.
( i removed the # sign before pop3 in /etc/inetd.conf file)
It used to work very correctly before, but i don't know whats gone wrong.
The connection speed is quite good, so i suspect that the server is trying
to resolve the names or something like that . I dont use DNS and i am
satisfied typing the ip addresses...

Please help.
Thanks a lot.
Gaurav Agarwal