Re: [LI] two ques

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Chetan Kumar S wrote:

+ > Well, AFAIK, checksum is used to preserve data integrity only. Is it used
+ > for anything else? If that is the case, what is that 'else'? And if this
+ > is not the case, then calculating checksum only over the respective
+ > headers, exclusive of pseudo header, shud suffice, no?
+
+ No, the rational nehind this would be if the UDP header is corrupt, where
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The checksum will detect this even if pseudo header is not in the picture,
just like IP checksum does. IP checksuming does not invlove any kind of
pseudo header.

+ will U pass the data, I mean which port, and what do I do with a DATA that
+ is fine, but delivered to wrong port/process..

TCP has mandatory checksuming. If somehow the data is delivered to the
wrong port, that means there is a bug in the code. As long as it delivers
correct data to the port mentioned in the header, it is not concerned with
anything else.

+
+ This things got nothing to do with LINUX, so please take it off the
+ mailing list... may be if intrested continue on my personal mails..
+

Ok, i mentioned that in the very first mail. I posted to this list only
as a last resort and i believe, one off topic mail in scores wont be a
bad :). I know this reaches to all cross section of the ppl, and i just
wanted a few pointers. I am ready to continue the discussion off the list
with whomsoever interested. From this point onwards, please respond to
this thread in private.

Thanks,
Sharad.