[LI] memory usage

hi people,
I observed something rather strange with my system yesterday.
it is a P-II 350Mhz with 64MB ram. 128 MB SWAP running 2.2.12 with
some patches to do with the ext2fs file system meta data.

there was hardly anything running on the machine but the memory usage was
57MB out of the main 64 MB and some 60 MB out of the 128 MB of swap.

I rebooted the machine and the total memory usage is now just over 29MB.

is anybody aware of any memory leaks in the 2.2.12 kernel.
has anybody experienced any such problems before ?

thanks
samir