Re: [LI] Fetchmail problem

Shirish Bhagwat wrote puzzled:

> Sorry about sending again
Okay, I forgive you ;-)

> but I ran fetchmail in verbose mode... I get
> this:
>
> fetchmail: POP3> LAST
> fetchmail: POP3< -ERR unimplemented
> fetchmail: unimplemented
> fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
> fetchmail: POP3< +OK
> fetchmail: POP3< 1 170
> fetchmail: POP3< 2 169
>
> Does this mean implementation is not there on ISP server?

Precisely. POP3 protocol has some mandatory commands, and some optional
commands. LAST is an optional command that is obsolete. Hence most POP3
servers do not implement LAST.

In the above given conversation between your ISP server and fetchmail,
fetchmail sends LAST command to find the next *unread* message; but gets
a -ERR reply. fetchmail then issues UIDL (another optional command). The
UIDL listing can be used by fetchmail (or any POP3 client) to determine
the last unread message at the ISP server.

Thus the absence of LAST does not stop fetchmail from retrieving your
mail :-), but fetchmail must not have used LAST in the first place :-(

--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com

Manoj Victor Mathew  (GPG#: D96A9B9)
Model Engineering College,