Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 00:54:32 -0700
From: Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LI] Programming help

A prolonged discussion on this topic is irrelevant to the list. But
still,
this matter is important enough to be addressed. So let me see if we can

keep this short and to the point.

On Sun, Oct 31, 1999 at 08:19:21AM +0530, Raj Mathur wrote:
> I strongly disagree with that statement: if you develop proprietary
> software using free software tools and libraries, you are basically a
> leech. Yes, I know, open software is so much better than proprietary
> software for doing development in, it runs faster, it is more stable,
> and the rest.  However, if you're developing proprietary software, pay

> for and bear with the tools that are available to you for doing that.
> Nothing personal, but I have very little but contempt for people who
> take from the free software world without giving back to it, and even
> less than that for people who use these tools and operating systems to

> expand their own private universes.

That means, in your opinion, any company that exclusively develops
closed source software should NOT port their software to Linux, because
they'll be using GNU gcc, GNU libc and everything else they didn't pay
for.

I'm not sure that's what everyone using Linux wants. Ultimately, it
boils
down to - whether you want an open source computing platform that is
usable and doesn't cost an arm and a leg or you want to convert the
whole world to use free (as in speech) software exclusively.

        -Arun

http://sharmas.dhs.org/~adsharma/opinions/gpl-is-unrealistic.html