Re: [LI] mail for root

    Manoj> "L.V.Gandhi" wrote:
    >> Whenever I login as root I get msg there is a mail.  But if
    >> inbox in pine is empty. What is this?  Can somebody explain it
    >> please?

    Manoj> Take a look at /var/spool/mail/root. What does it contain?
    Manoj> I suspect it does contain a message from MAILER DAEMON. If
    Manoj> it does then your problem is simple. Pine refuses to accept
    Manoj> messages from MAILER DAEMONs. But Bash does not. Hence bash
    Manoj> tells you you have mail, but Pine tells you no mail.

Neither Pine nor bash accept mail from anyone or anything.  The mail
is brought to your mailbox by your Mail Transfer Agent (MTA), sendmail
by default.  After that, bash checks your mailbox at login and if the
size is > 0 prints out the new mail message.  I don't see any reason
why Pine should show an empty mailbox after that, but you can always
use elm or Mail to read your mail.

-- Raki