Re: [LI]more than 1023 sectors

I have an interesting incident, that I 'm reminded of.

I had win95 and linux on my system. I guess win95 was in the second half,
I mean physically (on the hdd). Windows was the default partition.
Linux in the first half with about 800MBfor itself. Then one fine day I
decided to format the entire hdd(difft reasons). So I used the PCQ cd
,booted and removed the partition table.
Actualy these Linux partitions were in the extended Dos partition. So I
couldnt remove them using dos Fdisk(gave some kinda crap). There I was
having deleted the partition table. There it was an entire unformatted
hdd. I rebooted midway through the PCQ script. Booted using a floppy and
formatted the entire disk. Made it sys using the floppy. went into c:\,
saw vast emptiness. Then I rebooted. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED.

I booted into windows, Lo and Behold the entire windows with all the user
files too. AMAZING,...no Stupidity,..no IMPOSSIBLE-----This is surely a
dream. But It happened....The original Partition table was there.
Booted again using the floppy, and vast emptiness stared back at me.
booted from c:\ and windows. LOL

Conclusion:
What we realized was that When we rebooted the PCQ script midway
the boot loader was not overwritten so it retained the location of the
original windows FAT entries and Windows itself. So booting from c:\ the
default partition(originally win) was loaded. Since Windows was in the
second
half, It was not overwritten. And hence though IT wasn't there, It was
actually there.
IT tok us quite some time to understand this, or we might have lost faith
in the silicon GOD. Luckily for us, We are still believers.....