[LI] ping is fast, login prompt is slow!

Hi!

I've just installed Red Hat 6 on a P-II 450 smp, 128 MB Ram box.

When I telnet to it from other nodes on the subnet, the connection gets established very fast (it's slower through Windows Telnet, though!), but I get the /etc/issue message and Login prompt after ages!

eg:

$ telnet penguin
[xx.xx.xx.xx]
Connected to penguin. Press Ctrl-] to disconnect... <--- comes fast
                                                   (0 to 3 seconds)

Login: <-------Login prompt takes ages (upto 2-3 minutes to come!)

I tried pinging, and the times I got were 1 ms, which is typical of my network... what can the problem be?
Is one of the client or server misbehaving during option negotiation ?

Whats surprising that telnetting to other Linux boxes on the same subnet is normal and doesnt take that long. Same is the case with ftp.., it's slow on the new machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Rohit