RE: [LI] Linux password security

Does this mean that if a person has physical access to a linux
machine... then there is no security???
How can one prevent somebody from booting the system in single user mode
and tampering the files... especially the /etc/passwd file????
Is there any way by which you can make the system to display the Login
screen in single user mode???

Thanx in advance