Re: [LI] linux compatible notebook pc

> Hmm, the Dell Latitudes don't have internal modems, just PCMCIA's.
> Both my PCMCIA (56K modem and 100BaseTX Ethernet) cards work perfectly
> well under Linux.  IBM has some suxing policy regarding disclosure of
> its MWave products, which is why the internal modem doesn't work.
> BTW, your sound works, doesn't it?  I thought that was MWave too?

Nail on the head - mwave works just fine under Linux. ;-) And as you can
vouch from the deafening music that was coming from our room while we were
in Goa - sound works just fine. ;-)

The issue is not IBM's policy - the documentation has been available for
quite a while, and the modem is *not* a WinModem, either (hardware DSP,
not software). The issue has been a slightly more mundane one - no one has
so far got down to writing the drivers, but that effort is now, and
several initial successes have been reported.

This is sort of like the problem with the Xircom RealPort card I use -
that wasn't supported earlier, either, but is now. Just required someone
who knows about such things to get on the job.

Atul