[LI] ISA PnP Modem - Just for the knowledge of others who are grappling

My modem

3COM USR 56K Internal 100% PnP [no jumpers no DIP switches] Model 5685

Windows plays it on COM3 IRC7 3e8

What I did

pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports
vi /etc/isapnp.conf

I know the options the modem offers from the dump of pnpdump
I know what ports and what interrupts are not taken from proc files
So I choose 3e8 with IRQ 3 from the option blocks in /etc/isapnp.conf
>From the rc script I run

/sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf

On the next line

/sbin/setserial /dev/tty1 irq 3 port 0x3e8 uart 16550A spd_vhi

And the modem is hale and hearty :-)