[LI] Re: Linux India Digest V1 #261

Manoj,

Try tweaking Ruleset 0 which is applied to all recipient addresses before
deciding on the mailer to use. All the customization I've done in
configuring sendmail is directly on the sendmail.cf file - and so I am not
sure what changes are involved in the .m4 files for this. If you don't mind
editing the .cf files, the following should work.

Add these as the first lines in Ruleset 0 in sendmail.cf (Line immediately
below S0)
R$+ <@realdomain.com>$* 	$1 < @  localdomain . com .> $2
R$+ <@realdomain.com.>$* 	$1 < @ localdomain . com .> $2

Note that the separator between the Left hand side & the right hand side of
the rule is a TAB character - not spaces. (The RHS starts with $1 in both
the above lines)

To check if your change is working, run sendmail with the -bt option and at
the ">" prompt type in
3,0 xyz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You should get back the result

rewrite: ruleset 0 returns $# local $: xyz

Note : Atul had suggested using Linuxconf to setup sendmail. Linuxconf has
this  habit of rewriting the sendmail.cf file on startup if it finds it
changed (Wiping out all the changes you mode). So in case you're using the
sendmail module of Linuxconf, follow instructions given as comments at the
top of the sendmail.cf that it created. (i.e copying it to some other
directory - I think /etc/mail/mailconf -and modifying it there only.)

Kala

>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:05:26 +0530
>From: "R Manoj" <rmanoj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [LI] PCQ RH 5.2 & Sendmail

<snip>
>My local domain name is ' localdomain.com '. I dont have any
>problem recieving or sending mails out as i have set sendmail to masquerade
>outgoing mails as ' realdomain.com ' .
>My PROBLEM is for internal mails. For internal mails also the ' FROM '
>address gets masqueraded as 'user1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ' instead of
>user1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .This means that
>if they reply to the FROM address, the mails are unnecessarily pushed
>on to the internet. How can i overcome this (Prefferably at the MTA level).
<snip>