Re: [LI] Information on security desired...

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Mannu Kalra wrote:

> I need to implement security on a couple of linux machines. The kind of
> security I am looking for should bar even root from accessing
> files/directories of users. Special focus is to be given to the
> /var/spool/mail directory where the mailboxes reside. Not even root
> should be able to cat or cp or mv those files.

Simple answer - no, technically that's not possible.

This sounds more like a human problem than a technical one - it is always
better to give the root password only to people who are not likely to go
and read other people's mail.

In case you *do* have this problem, then I suggest the use of "sudo" - a
program that allows specific people to do specific things as root - with
full logging, but stops them from doing anything else.

ftp://ftp.freshmeat.net/pub/rpms/sudo/

Atul