Re: [LI] Largest Linux deployment in the country?

Raj Mathur forced the electrons to say:
> I received a message from an organisation which asks, ``We have
> deployed Linux in 78 of our centers across the country.  Does this
> make us the organisation with the largest implementation of Linux in
> India?''

Well, my alma mater, IITB has a student to pc ratio of 25:1 and _all_
these are linux. That makes it about 300 linux PCs. Every PC is connected
to the LAN, with a host of networking hardware, and various other OSes
like Digital Unix, SunOS, IRIX, Netware and of course, Win 95/98. Most
of our servers (three DNS servers, two gateways, two FTP servers, one
WWW server, three NNTP servers, two WWW proxy servers,... - the list is
endless) run linux. Of course you cannot call it as across the nation,
since all this is on our campus in Powai, Mumbai. There is every kind
of configuration available - dhcp, diskless clients, slackware/redhat,
ISDN/PSTN/leased lines, NFS - you name it, it is there. I learned most
of what I know about computers and networking there.

The only place of importance in IITB without linux is the library. It
is a shame that the largest technical library in India is still running
on Netware and FoxPro, although they are looking for alternatives. (But
the web interface to the library is still linux + apache).

The experimental Smart Card system launched in IITB campus is
linux-based. They have deployed it quite successfully.

XZeus is an X based grid generation software (invaluable in Finite
Elements Analysis) developed in IITB on linux.

I can write lots and lots more about linux in IITB, but enough!

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-