Re: [LI] Cache in Squid

Jeffrey Yep wrote:

> how can I manage the cache of Squid

Try the Squid FAQ. It's very informative.

> is there anything like a the TEmporary Internet Files in Windoze?

'Temporary Internet Files' is where iexplore keeps its cache. Equivalent
to ~/.netscape/cache in Linux. Caching provided by Squid is *much* more
powerful. You can run an entire LAN on it. Squid also has support for
multiple cache directories, and the unique ability to co-operate with
Squid running on other computers. Squid is definitely one of the most
powerful Caching proxy server available.

If you need caching for a single computer (maybe on a dial-up line), try
WWWOffle (http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk  or try a search at
Freshmeat). It takes much less memory, has support for off-line
browsing, and lots of other features designed for dial-up style
browsing.

> Another thing there is a /tmp dir, can I delete the stuff in it?

My debian system is configured to clean up /tmp, /usr/tmp, /var/tmp
directories each time system boots up. I advise against leaving useful
stuff in /tmp. It's against the rules and you can never complain to your
sysadmin if you lose anything in /tmp ;-)

--
Manoj Victor Mathew
Cochin, India.