Re: [LI] Why r there so many distributions of Linux??

> there seem to be so many distributions of linux floating around, all of
> them free!!!

It depends on what you mean by the term "free".  Many of them are indeed
"free" in the zero-cost sense.  And many of them are "free" in the sense of
freedom.

> but will a program compiled on one distribution of linux run on another ??

Short Answer: It depends

Long Answer: If the binary is compiled linking against certain versions of
some libraries, the exact same (or compatible) libraries have to be
installed on the second machine on which you plan to run the program.

Thaths
--
"What's so special about this game anyway? It's just another chapter in
the pointless rivalry between Springfield and Shelbyville. They built a