[LI] Mouse problem

I got hold of an ancient 486 and tried to install Linux on it. The RH
6.0 CD from Chip gave trouble "can not load initird.img" . I tried boot
floppies made from PCQ RH 5.2 - same problem. Booted Dos from a floppy
and tried "autoboot.bat" from Chip CD. That path for initrd.img itself
was wrong (Chip people please note!). Typed out the command - same
problem. Tried Autoboot from PCQ CD - smooth installation (Thank you
PCQ! - I knew I could trust you!).
Now for the main problem. Mouse is not recognised. I tried the old True
mouse (used "generic 3 button" in mouseconfig) swapped with a Logitech -
no use. My PC has only Linux - nothing else and I suspect problem with
IDE board. Any idea how I can find out?
Ashok