[LI] UTMP Trouble

Hai everybody,
	One of our linux m/c always gives finger info .as no one logged on
though	many people are logged on to that m/c. utmpdump does not give any
information. Just shows LOGIN in the login name field. WTMP does not show
any info either.
As pointed out by somebody in the list I removed the two files, touched
the two files and rebooted the machine. But the problem was not solved.
Any solutions.
Thanx in advance,
dip.