Re: [LI] winproxy for linux ??

- --------------F128B71540BCFE217A41B53C

Vishwanath Anantaraman wrote:

> Hi
> * I am a newbie to linux

nobody is perfect in this imperfect world not even a perfect fool, every one
has to start some where :)

> * I've setup PCQ Linux 5.2 with upgrades on my lan at college
> * Most machines on the lan use WIn95
> * Presently we use a software called Winproxy to retreive the mail(via
> dial-up) of various users on the lan from the net and it redistributes it
> * Is there any linux software which can do the same
> * I was successful in setting up the linux box as a pop3 server i.e people
> from their Windoz machines can send and receive local mail from the linux
> box. But how can they send and receive their internet mail acoounts(POP3
> based mail service)

viswanath for  you to achieve the above you have to set the linux box as a
gateway to the net in the pcq linux 5.2 there is a upgrade script written by
atul you can upgrade the packages at the end of the upgrade it will ask you
for  using the box as a gateway to internet just say yes and aswer all the
questions thats it.
and one more thing you have to remove the proxy options from all the browsers
and set  the gateway optiion in TCP/IP seetings of windows systems.
for details of how to please refer http://www.pcquest.com/linux/gateway.asp

hope that will help
thanks and regards
s.goswami