Re: [LI] Problem in installing Rh6

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:

- ->> large partition it is adviceable to have separate partitions for different
- ->> tasks, such as /home, /var, /usr, /boot, /tmp etc.  How much to keep for
- ->> each partition depends on what you wish to you use the computer for.
- ->> Keep in mind, that /usr partition is the place all the packages will be
- ->> installed.  So allocate generously to this.
- ->
- -><snip>
- ->
- ->say I have a 2 GB partiton and I load RHL 6 with everything that comes with
- ->the CD and I want to use it as a standalone desktop. Can you suggest the
- ->partitions and the approx space to allocate for them ? Actually you see I
- ->just bought a new 8gb hdd and I've got three empty partitions of 2 gb each;
- ->on one of which I want load RHL 6.

The following looks sensible.

/usr    1gb
/boot   20mb
/home   500mb
/      rest of the space ( which will have /root, /var, /tmp, etc.)

Since it is a standalone desktop you need not have separate partitions. 1gb
for /usr is sufficient only if you select and delete the unnecessary
packages. Suppose if you want to install staroffice, wordperfect, gnome, kde
and many such big collections of programs you may increase 1gb
appropriately.

Nagarjuna