From: owner-linux-india@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-linux-india@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Atul Chitnis
Sent: 20 August 1999 10:15 LINUX
To: linux-india@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [LI] [RHSA-1999:028-01] Buffer overflow in libtermcap
tgetent()

I was waiting for someone to say something sensible in this thread. However,
no one has deigned to do so, so here are my two bits:

This list is about Linux support in India. It is also the only Linux list I
still usbscribe to. I do not subscribe to this list just to give answers to
people wailing about SiS 6215 support and "can't find host" - I am here to
learn, too.

Raju's cross-posts from BugTraq have been invaluable to me, because I, like
many others on this list who mostly lurk, am responsible for Linux boxes
that are directly connected to the Internet. It is not possible for all of
us to subscribe to every possible list, so we share critical information in
the right forums.

When it comes to Linux and security, this list *IS* the right forum.

Sure, a few of you may be home users, but let me underline this strongly -
*VERY* few of you are. Just about everyone else here uses Linux either at
work or in an academic environment - environments that benefit greatly from
information that experts like Raju deem to be important and make available
through this list.

I feel hurt at this "all that is important is my own profile" attitude some
of you take. Linux-India is India's premire Linux support source - even PCQ
acknowledges this. Where do you think people who run Linux boxes in
mission-critical environments will turn?

If, however, you feel that this list is only for helping a few people with
their SiS 6215 cards, and that people like Raju should not bother you with
other things deemed to be important by them, then many of us (helpers and
lurkers) are decidedly wasting our time on this list.

How *dare* people frown on Raju's security posts when many of you do not
even take the trouble of trimming messages before replying or sending one
line, sometimes *completely* nonsensical replies, who post "where can I find
more info about..." questions without spending even a minute using a search
engine first and who don't bother reading the archives before asking a
question that has been asked (and answered) a hundred times before on this
list?

At this point, I believe that everyone who has dissed Raju for his
crosspostings owes him a major apology for the disdain he was shown for
trying to help people stay informed about matters that *DO* concern the
majority of the people on this list.

I for one apologize to Raju on behalf of the Linux-India members who think
like me (you know who you are) for this shocking attitude he has been shown,
and urge him to please do everything he feels necessary to keep Linux a safe
and robust OS - in India and everywhere else. And this includes posts such
as the BugTraq message in question.

I am really interested in seeing how many of you have the guts to do the
same.

Atul

Atul Chitnis     | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
C&B Consulting   | http://www.cbconsulting.com
Bangalore, India | +91(80)3440397 Fax +91(80)3341137