Re: [LI] lockd: couldn't bind to server

lockd is an RPC server rpc.lockd, which forwards the client file locking
requests from local kernel or remote kernel to another lockd (if remote).
It co-ordinates with statd (rpc.statd) which monitors the requests.
I dont think there is a mn/info for statd/lockd on RH linux.

These servers are used by all processes which use Remote Procedure Calls (RPC/XDR protocol for communication. Some of the examples are NFS, Samba, and
any other remot management applns. Its very difficult to say which processes
use lockd.
For a clear idea,

 When a lockd server recovers, it waits for a grace period for all NFS
 client-site lockds to submit reclaim requests.  Client-site lockds are
 notified by the statd of the server recovery, and promptly resubmit
 previously granted lock requests.  If a lockd fails to secure a
 previously granted lock at the server site, the lockd sends a SIGLOST
 to the process holding that lock. Which is why u get the error messages.

 If lockd is started without -l option then it doesnt log any errors anywhere.

 Simple test is, kill the rpc.statd, rpc.lockd if u r not using any NFS, samba
 or any kind of remote mounts.

 I hope this gives an insight into the problem though it doesnt provide the
 exact solution.

 HTH
 Sai