Re: [LI] SAmba Config.

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 02:28:00PM +0530, Wye Enterprises wrote:
$# Yes It is giving unable to connect...
$# when I just give httpd and try a telent it gives me
$# connecting to 192.168.0.1 ....
$# escape charector ^]
$# and nothing else... I have to kill the process to stop it...

First of all, httpd listens on port 80 and not 901. So, starting httpd is
meaningless. It's SWAT (which is a part of Samba suite) that listens on port
901. So, do a few things ...

	* Check if your network interface is up? You can find it out by
	ifconfig (or just by seeing if your machine is participating in network
	activities).
	* Do 'netstat -a | grep swat'. If it does not show you anything, you
	assume that SWAT is not running. So, telnetting to port 901 is
	meaningless (assuming a lot of things). You can manually start swat
       (in RH5.2, it's in /usr/sbin) and later find out why it's not starting
       automatically during boot time.

It was about SWAT. But SWAT is just a tool to configure Samba; a good looking
User Interface for editing /etc/smb.conf. So, you might come across the thing
that was missing by using SWAT but using it doesn't really matter.

Now what I wanted to know was the problem with Samba and not SWAT. Would you
tell me things 'like' ...

* Is your machine visible in Network Neighborhood.
* If not, do you see it when you do Find->Computer.
* Are you not able to share linux box'es file space or printer from windows?
* Are you not able to share windows' file space or printers from linux box?
* Did you do testparm

Manas